Our garden is growing in leaps and bounds. Every spring in Madison we begin with bare ground and by June every surface is green. Time to step away from the computer and play in the dirt.
We weeded the vegetable garden yesterday afternoon and harvested greens: spinach, chard, and amaranth. We picked purslane and dill too. All these plants have grown from the seeds we planted on Mother’s Day, May 12th six weeks ago.
I made a pasta salad using the fresh greens and dill.
Turf and Surf Pasta Salad
Turf and Surf Pasta Salad Recipe
- 1 Package brown rice pasta
- One egg (omit for vegan meal)
- 2 c Fresh greens: spinach, amaranth, chard
- Tuna (1 can), or 1/2 c pumpkin seeds (for vegan/vegetarian meal)
- Lime juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1/4 c Dill
- Tarrragon, powdered ginger, dash of turmeric, salt and pepper
- 1/2 c Mayonnaise or olive oil (for the vegan meal)
Cook pasta until done and drain. Quick beat an egg in the pot and pour the drained pasta over it. Stir to cook it with the pasta heat, then add greens to blanch using the noodles. Stir. Add tuna or pumpkin seeds. Squeeze in the lime juice. Add spices to taste, a pinch of each. Combine with mayonnaise or olive oil. Serves 4. Happy summer!
Gracias for reading Fake Flamenco. Olé! –Rebecca